Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Holy tulip

It's about 2am back home and 8am here in Namibia. we are just about to hit the road and do some much needed grocery shopping for our 2 week adventure. of which 7 days will be primitive camping. Let me start with our quick trip through Amsterdam and catch up.

We landed in Amsterdam yesterday (I think, time has all mushed together so I'm not really sure what day it was, or is now for that matter!) and headed straight for the train station after locking up some gear in a airport locker (thank God for those). We took the train to Centraal Station and walked to the nearest bustling area. We were so hungry we ended up springing for an irresistible dessert before eating lunch (whoops).
Essra's excellent photo
After we strolled around checking out the dessert and coffee shops we grabbed lunch at a pub and then headed back to Schipol Airport and caught a bus to Keukenhof Garden. We arrived in Holland just in time for the famous tulip season (which I've always wanted to experience).. 

Thanks for the photo idea, Devin

The flowers were incredible and the smells, divine. As Essra put it "I feel like I'm in Alice in Wonderland." I can't imagine the kind of care that goes into keeping these things alive and in tip-top shape. I have a brown thumb, you see, and folks like me can barely keep a cactus alive....so I'm very impressed. None of these images have a filter or have been edited, the flowers are just that pretty.



We had a lot of fun just walking around, picking up massing blocks of Beemster (one of my favorite cheeses) and being silly.


Don't mind Devin the bench

So thankful for our strong and handy men



After we had enough, we found a sunny spot on the lawn and took an hour nap. We were exhausted and happy to have a place to rest our heads (the grass in Holland is seriously amazing). Then we headed out to Schipol Airport for the long journey to Namibia. 

And now I remember why I've never blogged...it takes so much time and I'm too busy doing to write about doing. Gotta go, I'm being rushed...off to Etosha Park. I'll catch you up later but just know that we lost Dmitry in Africa! Don't worry, we found him...

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the tulips...have a friend there right now too! Love ya'll.

    ReplyDelete